A Peckett 0-6-0 saddle tank locomotive, works number 1378, built in 1914 to a War Office order and delivered to Sir John Jackson on 6th November 1914 for use on the Larkhill Military Railway. It then moved to the Fovant Military Railway (FMR) on Salisbury Plain.
The locomotive follows the decorative style of Pecketts of that period, with the wide valanced smokebox front and much brass and copper bright work in keeping.
Westminster worked the FMR from its opening in 1915 until closure after the end of the First World War. The loco also spent some time on another Military Railway closeby. It was then sold to the Associated Portland Cement Company (APC) for use at their Houghton Regis (Dunstable) site and later moved to APC’s Shipton-on-Cherwell site.
Boiler certificates dated October 1966 and November 1968 show it to have been in use as APC’s № 5 at Kiddlington Works in Oxfordshire. When it was no longer required, it was sold into private ownership, having several homes including the Kent & East Sussex Railway before they opened.
Latterly, Westminster was to be found on a short length of private track at the old station at East Tisted, Hampshire. The station, now a private house, is surrounded by new housing necessitating the use of a 200 ton crane to lift the locomotive over the roof of the station buildings and onto a low loader for the journey to Northamptonshire.
|Shunter||Peckett & Sons, Bristol||0-6-0ST|
|Built:||1914||Builder:||Peckett & Sons, Bristol|
|Cylinders:||14 in x 20 in||Driving Wheel Diameter:||3 ft 7 in|
|Weight:||N/A||Maximum Design Speed:||N/A|
|Boiler Pressure:||160 psi||Maximum Tractive Effort:||N/A|
|Made Redundant / Withdrawn:||April 1972||Date Preserved:||1972|
|Arrived at NLR:||27th October 1998||Current Status:||Under Restoration|