The Northampton & Lamport Railway is always looking for new volunteers to help out with all of the tasks which can be seen during running days and those “behind the scenes” too.
The N&LR’s volunteer army is looking to boost its numbers so that we can maintain and develop the railway and its vehicles more.
If you want to see volunteers in action and get a flavour of the work that we do why not join one of the working parties on a Saturday or Sunday?….you will find us at work from about 10.00 onwards. Or perhaps you prefer mid-week, volunteers normally are on site working on the coaching stock on Wednesdays from 10.30 onwards.
If you’d like to join in please take a look at http://www.nlr.org.uk/nlrps/volunteering-nlrps/ for more details. With all of the tasks required to run a railway, you can join in & get your hands dirty on the track & signals or with the Engineers working on the coaches. If you want keep your hands clean there are tasks for you too! When & what you do is up to you too! We even have work that you can do from home helping with some clerical type tasks.
If you do not think that you can help out as a volunteer working member, please consider showing your support by joining the Northampton & Lamport Railway Preservation Society (NLRPS) as a member and become a friend or supporter of the line. More details can be found at http://www.nlr.org.uk/nlrps/memberships/.
Some of the tasks being worked on at the moment are:
- Gate post & fencing renewals
- Vegetation control along the route of the whole railway
- Inspection & management of civil engineering structures, track and the Signalling & Telegraph system
- Greasing track parts that hold the rails together (fishplates & bolts)
- Preparation of parts for the next part of the extension works
- Fitting out Boughton No.2 Signal Box
- Overhauling the JCB Loadall, which includes the manufacture of new parts
- Maintenance of the coaches and fabrication works for the station buildings (ramps etc.)
- Assisting the private owners of the locomotives & rolling stock maintain their vehicles, including parts design, repair and manufacture.
- Fabrication of parts for structures such as bridge metalwork
Other departments are making preparations for and operating the passenger trains
The N&LR is only run and developed by a few volunteer working members and we have a need for the following skills to progress several projects:-
Carpentry & Joinery – to repair or refurbish the Signal Boxes, Coaches, Wagons and buildings
Painting – We have an ongoing requirement to paint the buildings and vehicles
Plumbing – With the plans for the station buildings we have a lot of pipe work to do to keep things running smoothly.
Brickwork & General Building works – there is a need to maintain the existing structures and with the current extension works there is some new build projects too.
Catering & Retail – Can you staff the buffet or the shop?… There are many outlets at the N&LR that could use your help.