1647 was originally built with 23 loose chairs but during its first refurbishment these chairs were replaced by fixed ones. A further refurbishment was carried out later removing two of the chairs to provide a payphone and wheel chair space. At this time the vehicle was also fitted with fluorescent lights and carpets. It has since had the payphone removed and two more seats fitted.
1647 was originally allocated to the Western Region and was numbered as W1647 from 1961 until reallocated to the Eastern Region in May 1983 wher it became E1647.
Sectorisation of British Rail saw the coach allocated to the Inter-City sector from September 1985 until withdrawal in July 1996.
During it’s working life on BR, 1647 has worked all over the system mainly operating from Norwich Crown Point Depot. The vehicle is also known to have operated over the Midland Main Line being hauled by both Class 45 and 47 locomotives. Because there was no requirement for the vehicle in 1996 it was put into safe storage at MoD Long Marston, prior to withdrawal when it was privately purchased.
|Coach||Pressed Steel||BR Mk1 RBR|
|Builder:||Pressed Steel||Type:||BR Mk1 RBR|
|Diagram №:||24 / AJ402 as built
33 / AJ411 after refurbishment
|Length:||64 ft 6 in over body||Lot №:||30628|
|№ of Seats:||23||Load Capacity:||N/A|
|Made Redundant / Withdrawn:||July 1996||Date Preserved:||September 1996|
|Arrived at NLR:||13th September 1996||Current Status:||Under Restoration|