Built to a modified Churchward design, this Collett 2-8-0 was turned out from Swindon works in November 1942.
№ 3862 went new to Oxford shed where it was immediately pressed into service on the vital movement of wartime goods and supplies. Remaining here until October 1947 this 2-8-0 then moved to Pontypool Road for a six year period before going onto Plymouth (Laira) at the end of 1953.
№ 3862 soon settled down on the usual pattern of heavy freight duties up and down the west of England main line although, according to a comment in a leading railway magazine of the mid 1950s, it spent so much time west of Plymouth during 1956 that it would have been easier to shed the loco at Penzance.
Transferred to Cardiff Canton in July 1962 and then Cardiff East Dock just one month later, № 3862 was finally allocated to Croes Newydd in September 1963, being withdrawn from there in February 1965 and arrived at Woodham Brothers Scrapyard, Barry, in July 1965.
The locomotive was purchased by the LNWR Preservation Society in 1987 and departed from Barry on 10th April 1989.
You can follow the restoration of № 3862 at the locomotive’s own website: www.3862.com
|Built:||1942 (Left Swindon Works on Wednesday 4th of November)||Builder:||GWR Swindon Works|
|Cylinders:||18½ in x 20 in||Driving Wheel Diameter:||4 ft 7½ in|
|Weight:||76 ton 5 cwt (Locomotive only)||Maximum Design Speed:||N/A|
|Boiler Pressure:||225 psi||Maximum Tractive Effort:||35,380 lbf|
|Made Redundant / Withdrawn:||February 1965||Date Preserved:||1987|
|Arrived at NLR:||11th April 1989||Current Status:||Awaiting Restoration|